DMS Email Update: August 27, 2020
Dear DMS Families,
It’s the end of August which means there’s a palpable energy in our building as we prepare for the new school year. This year of course feels a bit differently as we distribute sanitizers, order hallway signs, put tape down the main hallway, and learn a whole lot more about air purifiers and filters. We are incredibly committed to the safety of our students and staff and each action this summer had this goal in mind.
Here are some updates for the week:
- District Reopening Website: Please bookmark this site as a place to find all information related to plans for the fall. It is updated frequently and is a great one-stop shop for details throughout the district.
- Hybrid/Remote Plans: Thank you for indicating whether you have chosen hybrid/remote for the start of the year. Please keep in mind that ALL students will begin remotely on September 16th. Based on your selection, we have created cohorts of students that will remain together for much of the day to minimize travel throughout the building. Letters including the details for your child will be mailed home tomorrow. If you have any questions, please contact the main office at 781-310-7000.
- Supply Lists: Each year, our team leader teachers update supply lists to be sent out to families. You may have noticed that I have not yet sent one out...this has been purposeful. Given the unusual nature of our year, I would not want you to purchase items that are no longer necessary. I plan to meet with team leaders in the coming weeks to revise the supply list to better reflect this year’s needs. In the meantime, if you see a fabulous sale on pencils, pens or other typical school items, by all means, seize that opportunity!
- Summer Work: It’s not too late! If your child hasn’t finished (or begun!) the summer assignments, please refer to this website.
- DMS Reopening Task Force: Thanks to this powerhouse group of educators, nurses, custodians, department chairs, parents, secretaries, and administrators, we have developed an entire set of new protocols for our school day this year. I’d like to say an extra huge “thank you” to parents Julie Perillo and Jennifer Luszcz for their incredible contributions on the task force. You were an invaluable part of our team!
To our 6th grade families, I’d like to extend a special “welcome” to you! Transitioning our newest members of the community to DMS is one of my favorite activities and the spring was certainly not the most ideal way to do so. If you haven’t already done so, please visit our transition page on the DMS website. I especially enjoy the virtual tour we created this spring!
I will send weekly emails to keep you updated throughout the year and especially as the start of instructional time draws closer. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out via email or phone if you have any questions.