Help Us Select Dedham's Next Superintendent of Schools
With the upcoming, planned retirement of current Dedham Public Schools Superintendent Michael Welch in December 2022, the Dedham School Committee is very much committed to ensuring that students, families, faculty, staff and community members are able to contribute their voice to the process of finding the next Superintendent of Schools in Dedham.
Our District has come so far under the leadership of Superintendent Welch over the past eight years, and we couldn’t be more thankful for his dedication to our school community. We are committed to finding another great leader to keep us moving forward when it comes to ensuring our students have the best educational experience possible.
Latest Search News
Many thanks to the applicants from our DPS staff, parents and local community who expressed interest in being a part of this important process. While the School Committee has the sole authority to appoint the Superintendent, we believe it is critically important for members of the community and schools to be an active part of the hiring process. A 21-person screening committee has been appointed and will begin a packed schedule of training and candidate meetings over the next few weeks.
Parents and guardians of students at all grade levels in Dedham Public Schools may apply to be on the Screening Committee. Anyone interested will need to be available to attend several evening meetings including all the candidate interview sessions. Click above to learn more about meeting dates and how to apply
Open to all community members and families interested in providing input, the survey will help provide a summary of attributes, experience, and knowledge desired in Dedham’s next superintendent. Survey respondents will also be asked to identify what they believe are tasks which the new superintendent should immediately address.
The Search Process
The School Committee has engaged the New England School Development Council (NESDEC) to assist in the search process. The New England School Development Council, NESDEC, is a private, not-for-profit educational organization with approximately 300 school districts as affiliates. Originally established at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, NESDEC, now a stand-alone, not-for-profit corporation, has been serving New England school districts since 1946. NESDEC currently utilizes the expertise of over twenty former school administrators, as well as numerous educational workshop providers in its effort to provide the most current and effective resources to its affiliates.
An important part of the process is to solicit community input about the attributes, experiences, and desired goals for a new superintendent. This will be of valuable assistance to the School Committee and the Screening Committee as they interview the candidates.
Anticipated Next Steps & Timing*:
- The Superintendent of Schools opening will be posted and advertised beginning in late September/early October.
- NESDEC will organize responses gathered in the focus groups and surveys and present them to the School Committee as a community needs assessment report later in October. This report will be used to inform the development of a Successful Candidate Profile.
- Community members and parents will be invited to apply and be part of the Superintendent Screening Committee, a select group of key stakeholders, tasked with screening and recommending candidates for consideration at the beginning of November.
- Screening Committee applicants will participate in two training workshops and interviews in early December.
- A formal Screening Committee will be presented to and approved by the Dedham School Committee in mid December.
- Superintendent applicants will be reviewed and the screening committee will determine a proposed list of finalists for consideration by the end of December.
- Interview with selected finalists will be scheduled for January.
- Final selection by School Committee would take place in late February or March.
*This is an anticipated timeline based. Dates and timing are subject to change as the process moves along.
Search SubCommittee Members
- Mayanne MacDonald Briggs
- Josh Donati
- Tracey White