Transportation is available to all Dedham students who live more than two (2) miles from school. Students living 2 miles or less from their school are not eligible for bus transportation, and must instead walk, bike or arrange for their own transportation.
Bus to School
Buses are driven by competent drivers, have the right of way, and are properly insured. To exercise the option of bus transportation, all eligible students must pay a users fee determined by the Dedham School Committee.
- Students in Grades 1-6 who live more than 2 miles away from the school will have bus fees waived.
- Students who are on Free/Reduced Lunch plans are eligible to have bus fees waived. Forms are still required to be submitted.
Bus registration and conduct forms must be completed and returned to Dedham Public Schools.
Please note, registration and conduct forms signed and submitted prior to August 15st will enjoy a small savings!
All Bus students in Grades 1‐12 must register regardless of bus fee exempt status.
Parents with questions on eligibility for bus transportation should contact the central office at 781-310- 1000.
Bus Routes will be posted online the week prior to the first day of school.
Bus Conduct & Disciplinary Action
Student Conduct on Buses
Video Surveillance on Bus
School Bus Stops
Walking or Biking to School
Students who are walking to and from school should walk on the sidewalks and not on the roads. During inclement weather, when conditions are slippery, extra caution should be taken. All students should respect the property of their neighbors by not cutting through yards or causing any damage to property. Littering or loitering on school property or neighbors’ property is not allowed.
For the safety of all students, pets who accompany students and families walking to school will not be allowed on school grounds.
Drop-Off & Pick-Up by Car
Families driving students to school are asked to observe the designated traffic patterns for Drop-Off and Pick Up at their school. Maps and additional information on each school’s process can be found under the About Our School section of each school’s website.
If a DHS student must drive to school, the car must be parked in the student lot at the pool. Cars are not to be parked in the teachers’ assigned spaces or on the streets around the school. Students violating this regulation risk having their vehicles tagged or towed.
- If a student is parked illegally on school property, he/she is subject to disciplinary action, including revocation of parking privileges.
- Students who have repeated parking infractions may also face suspension from school.
- Students are not to bring their vehicles into the back school parking lot prior to 3:00 p.m. for after school activities. Students are not allowed to park at the Avery School.
- All vehicles are subject to being towed.